Friday, April 06, 2007

Jennings leaving Southern Vance

From Saturday's Dispatch

After making a run to the State 2AA Championship Game last season, Southern Vance football fans were left wondering what Coach David Jennings and his 2007 Raiders would do for an encore.

The answer is nothing. At least not together.

Jennings is leaving Southern after four seasons to become the new head football coach at Granville Central, a new school in Granville County set to open this fall.

He leaves as the winningest coach in Raider history with a 41-14 overall record.

“It’s a new challenge,” Jennings said in a phone interview Friday. “It’s an opportunity to build something from scratch. I really just want to see if I can do it.”

Jennings will also teach English and coach the men and women’s track teams.

For the first season at least, the new school will have just a JV program for football. Granville Central will play some varsity sports in 2007, with hopes of joining the Northern Carolina Conference – along with Southern - in the fall of 2008.

There was no word Friday as to Jennings’ potential successor, though the former coach said that he doesn’t plan on bringing any members of his former Raider staff with him into Granville County.

“I heard about the job posting and I went over there to see what was up with it,” Jennings said. “For me, it’s more about the journey from being a 4-7 or a 3-8 team to being a good program. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do, and this was a chance for me that was pretty close by.”

According to Jennings, there were no negotiations to keep him in Vance County.

“There wasn’t any of that,” he said. “My mind’s made up. I think that anytime a team loses its coach, it’s going to be a little bit of a setback. But with the players and the staff they have in place, they shouldn’t miss a beat without me.”

The former coach wouldn’t speculate as to who might replace him on the Raider sidelines.

“I have no idea what they’re going to do,” Jennings said. “At this point, it’s none of my business.”

He also added that he had a chance to tell most of his players about his decision.

“I’ve told quite a few of them,” Jennings said. “For the most part, they took it pretty well. I think they understand that it’s a good opportunity for me. The kids in Vance County are pretty resilient.

“I’m really going to miss Jamere (Pugh). Not just as a football player, but as a person. I’ve really enjoyed watching his maturation process.”

Jennings also made it clear that there wasn’t any ill will on his part.

“I appreciate the opportunity I had in Vance County,” he said. “Hopefully, I can continue to reminisce about the good times I had there. I’m going to miss the coaches and players. I had a lot of good relationships there. It’s just one of those things where it’s time to move on.

“There are no hard feelings. It’s just time for me to move on.”

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Southern Vance Football finally got put on the map and recognized after their title run and fine performance against Shelby. A dynasty was in it's reach with title runs year to year and the community pouring into raider Stadium on Friday nights to watch their Raiders feast. Why would a Coach leave such a promising future? There's more to this than we will know. Good luck to Coach Jennins.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Southern Vance admin.made a mistake in not trying to keep Coach Jennings...THEY HAVE MADE SOME BONEHEAD DECISIONS IN THE PAST.hE WILL BE GREAT WITH THIS NEW PROGRAM......Anything we can do at Cummings just let us know...A GOOD FRIEND,GREAT COACH....GOOD LUCK....CAVALIER DAVE

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to say good luck Coach Jennings. But southern Vance football will be okay im sure the players and coaches will be ready come the fall.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Randy Capps said...

It's a big loss for Southern and a great hire for Granville Central.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a loss, but not as big as people are making it. The team will be fine. Its not as if this was setting up as a rebuilding year for Southern anyhow, with so many returning players and experienced assistant coaches they should be atop the conference fighting with Bunn again. No worries. Perry should be head coach again.

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home