Saturday, January 27, 2007

Taking care of business

My column from Sunday's Dispatch

A few of you may have heard me suggest on the radio Friday that Arizona was going to beat North Carolina this weekend.
Oops.
The Tar Heels continue to impress me, and declawing the Wildcats, 92-64, in Tuscon without the services of Brandan Wright and Marcus Ginyard should be flat-out scary to anyone who doesn’t bleed Carolina blue.
Staying in the ACC, I wrote a column a few weeks ago lamenting the fact that Duke seems to get a lot of breaks from the officials during games at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
In case you needed proof, the latest example popped up Thursday night when Clemson got absolutely hosed on a clock adjustment, giving Duke plenty of time to go down and get the winning shot.
Now the Devils deserved to win the game — only an unlikely steal and three pointer tied it in the first place — and maybe they would have won it easily in overtime. But the fact that the zebras ended up deciding that it took only six-tenths of a second for a guy to steal a pass, take a step back, shoot a three and have the ball fall through the net the game is just wrong.
Think I’m overreacting? The ACC released a statement Friday admitting the timing error.
And Duke’s reaction?
No comment.
I rest my case.
Moving right along, I recently celebrated my seven-year wedding anniversary with my lovely bride, Shanna.
How cool is my wife? Well, we spent the afternoon in a Raleigh sports bar, scarfing down wings and nachos while watching the Bears and battle it out for a Super Bowl berth on a huge projection TV.
Good times.
Some things, however, are not so good here in Henderson.
I was saddened to learn of the recent shooting at the Aycock Recreation Center Wednesday night.
This is the second incident I’ve witnessed in the area of a sporting event turning violent since I moved here.
Late last year, there was a post-game brawl and pepper spraying after a Warren County JV boys’ basketball game.
What’s the deal? Sports is suppose to feature healthy competition between friends or rivals.
Come on guys, leave the fighting and the guns out of it.
Of course, Maria Sharapova could have used a firearm in her match against Serena Williams in the Australian Open final.
At least then it may have been competitive.
Serena Williams is the most talented woman to ever pick up a tennis racquet.
Were it not for her off-court interests and injuries, I’d go so far to call her the best player ever.
She still has time to change my mind.

Contact the writer at rcapps@hendersondispatch.com.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gabe Whisnant said...

Is Federer the most talented male to every pick up a racquet?

Or, is he JUST the most dominant player of this era. I'd say he has to be in the discussion as the best ever ... just not sure I'd put him there, yet.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Randy Capps said...

If he's not the best ever yet, he will be when he's through.

The guy didn't drop a set Down Under. That's solid.

And poor Gonzo didn't play badly. He was just facing the best player of his generation.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home