Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Pugh, Person lead Raider aerial attack

From Wednesday's Dispatch...

By RANDY CAPPS, Dispatch Sports Editor

When we last left Jamere Pugh, he was passing for 304 yards and four touchdowns in Southern Vance's 32-26 win over Forest Hills in the 2AA Eastern Regional Final last week.

The junior quarterback was a little less emotional Tuesday afternoon after practice, but still excited about the opportunity to play Shelby for the 2AA State Championship Saturday afternoon in Winston-Salem.

“I'm excited, ready to play,” he said. “I'm just happy that I was able to help lead my team to a state championship (game).”

Pugh has passed for 1,559 yards and 16 touchdowns whiling rushing for 561 yards and 12 more scores this season and he's well aware of the challenge awaiting him and his offensive mates this weekend.

“Our coaches broke down the film,” Pugh said. “They told us what to do, where to hit them in their weak spots and we'll try to take advantage of that.”

Pugh's favorite target is fellow junior David Person. Person has 35 grabs for 845 yards and nine scores this season, and he's also excited about the chance to bring a title back to Southern Vance.

“It feels good to be in this position,” Person said. “But I haven't really put that much emotion into it. I'm going to play it like a regular game.”

The Golden Lions are not exactly a regular team, and Person will likely be matched up with Shelby cornerback Preston Roseboro, a Shrine Bowl selection.

“I love to have competition,” he said. “I can show everybody what I can do against the best competition in the game. That's what the college scouts are looking for, what I can do against the best athletes.”

Assuming that Person and Roseboro will be battling on one side of the field, it's safe to say that Pugh may have to spread the wealth a bit on Saturday.

And he's OK with that.

“I basically throw it to the guy that's open,” Pugh said. “Last week, they were sending guys at me. So, I threw it to the backs because nobody was on them. When they blitz, the swing guys are wide open.”

Person had four catches for 124 yards last week against Forest Hills, but he's fine with not necessarily being the primary target on every play.

“All I'm about is winning,” he said. “As long as somebody else can step up when all the pressure's on me, I'm all right with it.”

Pressure shouldn't be an issue for the “Cardiac Raiders” in the state title, since they've trailed at the half in three of their four postseason victories.

“We just had to stay positive,” Pugh said of those games. “We just had to make the plays we knew we could make.”

Contact the writer at rcapps@hendersondispatch.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home