Sunday, April 02, 2006

Ramblings

My column from Monday's Star:

I’ve always enjoyed filling out NCAA Tournament brackets, but this year has been a humbling experience. As team after team flamed out on my sheet, I made peace with the fact that 2006 simply isn’t my year.

And that’s OK.

I’ll still watch tonight’s final between UCLA and Florida. I’ll be hoping for a well-played, competitive game, despite the fact that I don’t really care for either program.

Even though my powers of prediction have been dreadful lately, I’m still obligated to take a stab at picking the winner.

UCLA is a lockdown defensive team that relies on its defense to jump-start its offense while the Gators, probably the more athletic squad, are deadly efficient on offense.

I get the feeling that the Bruins’ will have trouble putting up points on Florida, so I’m leaning towards the Gators bringing home the title.

Opening day
Today is special for another reason. It’s the first full day of baseball season. That means games on all day and night, and the start of fantasy baseball season.

I had a good draft, and I’m ready to roll.

Looking for the most entertaining game on the dial? Try the Yankees and A’s at 10 p.m. on ESPN. Two of the best left-handers in the American League will take the hill as the Yanks’ Randy Johnson matches up against Oakland’s Barry Zito.

Pulling the plug
I’m pretty disappointed that Fox Sports 1390 cancelled the local morning show with Jeff Champion and Andy Foster after only seven weeks on the air.

Foster was also terminated from his full-time job at WADA-AM 1390’s sister station, WOHS-AM 730 after almost four decades on the job.

He’s been on the mic for hundreds of Cleveland County sporting events, and a man who has given that much to his industry and community deserves better.

More weird news
I guess Herb Sendek got tired of being the Wolfpack nation’s whipping boy. The successful, but constantly criticized, head coach has taken the Arizona State job.

In Tempe, his sole mission in life will be to beat Arizona. So, he basically traded in two Hall of Famers in his state (North Carolina’s Roy Williams and Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski) for one in Arizona’s Lute Olson.

Why State fans hate a guy that led his team to five straight NCAA Tournament appearances and 191 wins in his 10 years is beyond me.

Yes, he was 17-54 against Duke, Carolina and Wake Forest, but answer me this:

Who has done much better than that against those three schools?

The few guys who have aren’t coming to Raleigh to be the third wheel in the Triangle.

This is a sad day for Wolfpack fans, whether you guys realize it or not.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That breaks my heart to hear that about Andy Foster. No one has given more to Cleveland County sports than he in the past 30-plus years. His distinctive voice is something I really miss hearing on the air, being out here in ENC. Just a suggestion: a boycott of WOHS should be in the works.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only hope that many, many fine people in Cleveland County will voice their displeasure with what has happened to Andy Foster. He is a class act and has given everything to radio to Cleveland County. Not only a boycott of the station, but let the advertisers here it too. Hit'em in the pocketbook.

Andy Foster is one of the legends in Cleveland County.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again -- I'm shocked that WOHS did what they did. Calvin Hastings doesn't own that station anymore, does he? I can't imagine him doing that to a legend like Andy.

Ironically, I have a tape of the Crest-Shelby game, my first at The Star. Andy and Dan Greer did that game, and it took place just three days after 9/11. I listened to a few minutes of it today.

Good luck to Andy. Surely someone is going to pick him up?

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An online petition has started. You can find it here.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bring_back_andy/

Please help spread the word.

Thanks

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home