Monday, February 06, 2006

Random thoughts

Well, Super Bowl XL is in the books and I have to say that it was the most poorly officiated Super Bowl I've ever seen.

Now, I was pulling for Seattle, so I have my own little bias here. But every, and I do mean EVERY, call that could possibly break in Pittsburgh's favor did so. And don't get me started on the offensive pass interference call on Darrell Jackson. Turns out the guy who threw the flag, back judge Bob Wagner, is a freaking Pittsburgh native.

Of course, I could just be bitter about taking the points and losing a little money. Not that I gamble or approve of it in any way...

High school hoops

Shelby invades East Rutherford tonight for a pair of games that will decide conference championships. The East girls and Shelby boys came out on top in the first matchup, and I don't think a change of venue is likely to alter either result.

New guy

We got a new reporter today, Pete DeLea, and the dude already has a blog. There's nothing on it yet, but here's the link - http://pdeleastar.blogspot.com/

Duke and Carolina
Tobacco Road's biggest rivalry tips off tonight with Duke paying a visit to the Smith Center for a date with the Tar Heels. I'd just like to give a big fat "I told you so" to my boss, Bryan Hanks and everyone else who were predicting the demise of the freshmen-laden crew from Chapel Hill. I said they'd be tourney-bound, and they will be.

That said, they'll still get hammered tonight by a Duke squad that's just too talented for this year's UNC club.

Setting Sun?
Saturday's loss at Florida Atlantic was a wasted chance for Gardner-Webb to make up some ground in the Atlantic Sun standings. As it stands, GWU is 2.5 games behind surging East Tennessee State and two games behind Belmont, Lipscomb and FAU. A game and a half separates the Bulldogs from their next opponent, Kennesaw State.

If the A-Sun Tournament started today, GWU would meet Belmont, Lipscomb or FAU. There's a tiebreaker scenario there, but I'm not that smart.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy Capps said...

I'd have to agree that they're struggling to meet expectations on a number of fronts.

It's my alma mater, so I'm holding out hope that they can get the kinks worked out - on all fronts.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home