Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Warren County hires Crump

From Wednesday's Dispatch...

BY RANDY CAPPS
DISPATCH SPORTS EDITOR

There are many young men in school right now who are dreaming of becom­ing lawyers. Then there’s a lawyer who’s always dreamed of becoming a head football coach.
Maurice Crump, a Warren County native and former Eagle player, has assumed the top post at his alma mater, replacing Lamont Robinson after just one season.
Crump, who served as Robinson’s defensive coordinator last season, is excited about getting his first head coaching job in his hometown.
“I feel pretty good about it,” he said. “It’s an honor and a privilege to be the coach at the school I played for.”
After graduating from Warren County in 1988, he went to Howard University in Washington, D.C., and earned a degree in Political Science in 1992 and went on to claim a law degree in 1995.
But he’s always been more interested in tackles than torts. “Football has always been in my heart,” he said. “There were so many influences on me growing up. My father coached me in school, and I just sort of decided to try coaching, chase my dream while I was young.
“Now, my time has come. Here’s my shot.”
That shot is right around the corner as Crump is scrambling to get his Eagles ready for the start of practice on July 30 and the season opener against J.F. Webb at home on Aug. 17.
“I think the first priority is to get the word out that guys need to be coming to workouts and trying to get in shape,” he said. “As far as the defense goes, not much will be different. But we have an new offensive coordinator and the offense always takes a little longer to put in.
“Hopefully, by the time the first game comes up, we’ll have a decent number of plays in. Then, we’ll expand it as the season goes on.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is well-deserved! Good luck to Coach Crump!

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home