Thursday, November 01, 2007

Life

You know, war's never been real to me. I've studied them, read about them and seen them on TV. I've got buddies who've served their countries in places I can't pronounce. But I've never had someone I know die thousands of miles away.

Until now.

James David Bullard was a man I barely knew. He was a friend of friends - someone I'd never said 10 words to. But we went to school together. And now he's gone.

And it bothers me. Nobody deserves this.

My son is the most precious thing in my world. And he's in the other room sleeping right now. Hayden didn't get to meet his dad. His dad never came home from a place that most of us don't think about anymore. And his mom has to pick up the pieces.

And it breaks my heart.

It's been years since 9-11, but Americans are still dying. Brave souls who leave their families to go halfway across the world to fight for me so I can write stories about kids playing games.

I fussed at my wife for talking about it today, but I think it was guilt.

There are things in my life that I don't like. My boy suffers from autism, and I've cried over that. But he's here. His mom's here. And so am I.

I wasn't called to fight and die in a place God as we know him doesn't exist. All I have is the ability to write in complete, mostly grammatically correct sentences. But I can, and I will, stop to say two things:

Thank you and God bless you.

Live now. Tomorrow may not come.

Rest in peace, David...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home